Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Stone Gods

"I believe that the role of the artist changes, according to the time that he or she must inhabit. I have felt strongly that in our time, the inner life, the imaginative life, the life of the mind, needed strengthening and protection, because we live so much on the outside, pretending that all our needs can be met by a bit more shopping and better technology.

The role of the writer? Well, this is not a time to be a bystander. It is a time to make a response. That is what I will do now for the rest of my life. I’m not giving up anything I have done – I am not turning to politics or docu-drama. I am working as I have always worked, but I am bringing in something else, something more. All we can do is to try and make a difference
."

Jeanette Winterson
from her monthly column which is always a good right brain read
referring to her new novel 'The Stone Gods'

No comments: